Sunday, January 17, 2010

You've probably heard - it's damn cold

Slowly it warms up, but it's been unseasonably cold, mostly because we haven't had any sun. It should be sunny everyday. It's not. The forecast is for sun by Tuesday. We need the sun to heat our homes because there aren't any heating systems, other than the sun, when it's out, it does a good job.

I've had neighbours living downstairs since around the beginning of October. They leave early Wednesday morning, and are on their way to Bangkok, Australia and New Zealand before moving on to Europe. They told me that if they had it to do all over again they would spend a year in Oaxaca. We're saying our goodbyes over dinner this evening.

My life has become a series of meeting new people then saying goodbye. Over the last few days I've made the decision that I will be leaving Oaxaca and Mexico at the end of July. I don't know where I'll be going and won't decide until I get back from my six week trip to Chiapas, Guatemala and Belize.

To prevent the expenses incurred because of last summer's poorly planned trip to Canada's maritime provinces, I tried to organize my trip into Central America. I've done the best I can, but the plan is full of holes. Small hotels don't accept Visa and don't like to make reservations without some sort of deposit into their bank account. Shuttle companies don't answer emails or telephones. By the time I reach Belize I'll have my guide book to guide me but I won't know how to get from point A to point B, or where I'll be staying. At least the official language of Belize is English.

I thought I'd fly back from Belize City to Oaxaca. No way! Duration 22 hours. Cost $798 American. I think I can get a shuttle to Cancun and take a Mexican bus from there.

I've learned that, as a senior citizen living in Mexico, I can go to a government office and get a discount card. I will endeavour to do this Monday. Sometimes I manage with my limited Spanish, sometimes I don't . If I can make myself understood and I get the card it will get me discounts at hotels, munseums, buses etc.


No comments: