Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I Hate Housework

I hate housework. I look forward to not having a house. Figuing out what to keep, what to sell and what to simply throw into the garabage is a challenge that will be complete by December 31.

December 31 is my aribritary deadline set because I've got so much to do in the next six months. Including having real estate agents come take a look so I can decide whether to finish the basement before putting the house up for sale.

My upstairs is getting emptier and emptier. But the basement is getting fuller and messier. This is a concern if I decide to renovate before selling the house. Where can all that stuff go before garage sale season starts in the spring?

I'm not a pack rat and so there really isn't that much in my house, compared to most North Americans living north of the Mexican boarder that is. As far as I'm concerned I own too much stuff. . . no let's face it too much junk.

We are a comsumer oriented society. I keep asking, "Why did I buy this? I keep saying, "I don't know."

What's worse, are the gifts. Well meaning people giving me things I feel I'm suppose to treasure, but I'm not sure I do.

The trick is, simplify, simplify, simplify. Deciding what is important, a must have, and what is unimportant. It's a personal decision. Right now, moisturizers and certain cosmetics are a must have, and will be difficult to backpack around. Not many people are understanding the importance of certain products. Nora Ephron would understand. In her book "I feel bad about my neck," Ms. Ephron wrote about how intellectually she knows the moisturizer she puts on her face is basically the same moisturizer she puts on her feet, but she not likely to test this knowledge by daring to use the same moisturizer on all parts of her body.

I understand Nora, I understand. But, are you leaving your New York flat for a homeless life? I don't think so. I need to think this through. . .oh well, I've got six months left . . maybe more if I can't find a way out of the real estate conundrum that I may come face to face with in January.

I'm leaving now - to clean hardwood floors, vacuum chairs and carpet and admire my almost empty dining room.

No comments: