Monday, August 13, 2007

The bank and Mortgage Renewal

On Friday I went to the bank intending to renew my mortgage, which is due in September. But instead of renewing my mortgage I walked out on bank guy. I've been with the same bank for over thirty years and I just picked up my purse and left. At the time I had no idea why I did it.

I was rather shaken and wondering what to do next because suddenly I had an unplanned need to find a new mortgage lender.

I drove to my neighbourhood credit union. The sign on the door was welcoming, the credit union kept saner hours than the bank. It's open late on Thursday and Friday and open on Saturday, this I took as a good omen.

After a little thought I knew why I had walked out on bank guy. He was doing his job, but he wasn't doing anything else. I knew if he got out from behind his desk he would have been able to give me a better interest rate than the one the computer was giving out, but he couldn't be bothered.

Funny, on Monday someone from the Royal Bank called stating it was just a routine call that the bank makes to customers from time to time. Coincidence? Perhaps.

Bank woman, who was also doing her job, didn't seem particularly friendly, she too seemed to be going through the motions.

I told her I was looking for a new financial institute and didn't feel obliged to give a reason.

She said, "You've been dealing with us for over thirty years."

"That's right," I said.

Our conversation ended. I had nothing to say.

No comments: