Commissioned in 1660 by the Moriconi family. In 1680, ruined by bankruptcy, they sold the building to the Controni family, who presided over the completion of the palace. Adding to the plans, building the grand staircase, upgrading the gardens and arranged for the trompe l'oeil, which can be seen throughout the house.
In the middle of the 19th Century Bavarian Felix Pfanner purchased the palazzo. It became a brewer, and its gardens a beer garden, and remained so until 1929.
The palazzo is still owned by the Pfanner family. In 1995 the family began the work of restoring the property to its original grandness with the idea of opening it up to the public.