Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Women's Groups



When I left Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, I left behind the women's group, which I was part of for over ten years, two members, Susan and Sheri, gave us a name, "Women's Spirit."

We met, and they continue to meet, once a month for a potluck supper. This coming weekend "Women's Spirit" will spend their annual weekend at Alana's cabin near Lake Winnipeg. I'd love to be there.

When I arrived here in Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico on August 1, 2010 I didn't know anyone. I needed a group, a place to belong. I set about finding my community.

Jane, Linda, K.T., Ann, Geri and myself get together every Tuesday. They are my new women's group.

I'm very fortunate to have found women who are positive, supportive, and accepting of themselves and others - warts and all.

The spirit of women can fill a room with humour, love and positive energy.

(Top photo is Barb's Christmas card 2005 - to her fellow Women's Spirit members. The other photo is Sheri, me, and Alana at the 2005 weekend at Alana's cabin. Guess who the short one is??)

2 comments:

1st Mate said...

Am I lost in a time warp, or did you mean that you arrived in Oaxaca August 1, 2009?

That need to belong to a group is so vital. I hope you're finding people to connect with in Oaxaca who will give you that same sense of unity. After five years in Sonora I'm just beginning to do that. Mea culpa, just didn't realize the value of it. Oh, and shyness didn't help.

Oreen Scott said...

Thanks for the edit. Yes, I meant August 1, 2009 when I arrived in Oaxaca. No, you're not in a time warp.