Monday, April 12, 2010

April 12 - Belize Zoo

The Belize Zoo is world renowned among zoo keepers for it’s ability to make the animals feel like they are in their natural habitat.


I don’t like zoos, but decide to visit this humane zoo (Is it ever humane to cage an animal?)


I take the bus to the zoo road and walk to the entrance


All the animals have been rescued. Some were injured, some had been illegally kept as pets, all are native to Belize.


I wait on the edge of the highway for the bus that will take me back to Belize City. I wait alone for about 25 minutes, but am joined by a couple he’s a Belizean and she’s an American from Texas. I get the feeling they met on the internet and that her month in Belize, which began April 3, is the first time they actually met.


We talk about how expensive everything is in Belize..


Brenda Lee, who has become my cab driver when I need a taxi, was at the bus depot when I arrived, and was at the bus depot when I returned. It had been a slow day. She drove me back to my hotel.


No comments: