Saturday, April 10, 2010

April 10 -From St. Ignazio to Belize City


I took a public bus from St. Ignazio to Belize City. It stopped an accountable number of times along the way, and sometimes it was so crowded it was standing room only. It was hot, humid and took about three hours. I didn’t have a clue where I was going to stay once I arrived in Belize City.

When I got off the bus and made my way outside to the taxi stand there were too many cab drivers searching for fares. A woman named Brenda Lea with twenty years of driving experience took my duffle back. As we stood beside her old beater of a taxi I explained I didn’t know where I was going but that I wanted a hotel beside the ocean, with air conditioning and I didn’t want to pay more than about ninety dollars a night.

The first places she took me to cost too much. I settled on the Chateau Caribbean. The hotel is sixty years old, needs painting and new flooring but it had a bath tub, which is a rarity in Latin America, air conditioning and overlooks the Caribbean Sea.

I settled in, found the boat taxi service, and bought a ticket to Caye Caulker for the next day.

(The photo is of my hotel. It has an interesting 60 year history, and has been many things, including a hostpital.)

No comments: