Monday, November 23, 2009

Sunday in the Zocalo - A Book Fair




This week, perhaps longer, I'm not sure, there is a book fair happening,
book sellers abound, as do authors and performers.

I don't know who the man is but he was very animated, and an excellent story teller. Alas, all the four year olds in the audience understand more of what he was saying then I did. Nevertheless I was entertained.

Apart from the book fair there was a protest meeting, something about insufficient services in the pueblas. As you can see it wasn't very well attended, but those who spoke, spoke with a great deal of passion.

The weekly Sunday band concert was moved from it's usual spot to the opposite side of the Zocalo because the book fair took up so much space.

Perhaps one of the reasons Oaxaca is so full of culture, entertainment and events is because of the weather, which creates an inside/outside life. I've written recently about insects, but there really isn't as many insects as there were in Winnipeg. But, the insects that are here, like the people are inside and outside.
As I walked home I saw a rather strange site, beautiful flowers placed on the sidewalk. I don't know the reason for this, but judging from the dead flowers in the nearby garbage can, it is a regular thing. A celebration? A mourning? A remembrance?

No comments: