Thursday, August 13, 2009

Heidi and I sample Mezcal





A visit to Oaxaca would be incomplete without a study of the states favorite liquor, Mezcal, which is made from the agave plant. We toured a Mezcal producing factory.

Agave is not a cactus. It's its own plant species with over 130 different varieties. Tequila is made from the blue agave. Mezcal is made from the heart of the Agave plant. The longer the aging process the more expensive the Mezcal.

The people of the state of Oaxaca prefer Mezcal to Tequila.

I took a shot of year old Mezcal.  It was, I said "muy fuerte". But, a moment or two after the liquid had gone down my throat and into my belly the warmth of the alcohol, and the glow became apparent.

The oldest Mezcal is twelve years old and went down smoother than the Mezcal that was a year old.


No comments: