Thursday, June 25, 2009

Leaving Chihuahua



I walked for four hours Thursday. I walked because when my computer was stolen the photos I took last fall went with it. I wanted to take some photos before I leave. It was around 30 degrees Celcius, and the sun was bright. When I returned to my apartment I had a headache.

When I arrived last fall I was mesmerized by the cathedral and the plaza in el centro. However, the site no longer thrills me because every Mexican city and pueblo has a cathedral, plaza and many well tended to gardens, along with museums of art and culture.

Last week I finished reading a memoir "The Price of Freedom", written by Alex Domokos, a Winnipeg writer who escaped Hungary during the 1956 revolution. I don't know how I came across this ebook while in Mexico. I didn't know it was a story written by a Canadian immigrant until I started reading. The internet certainly shrinks the world. I digress, he said in his book that towns in his new land were built around highways, while the towns in Europe were built around a central plaza. Mexican cities are more European than North American.

I have not yet mastered the round-about. Sometimes I must drive correctly because no one honks, other times I must be doing it wrong because I'm being honked at. Oh well, I mostly walk anyway. Walking can be a challenge because sidewalks disappear and traffic patterns at intersections are different than North America. But, I've got the hang of it. Only thing is I wish the cars stopped at the red light would respect the pedestrian crossing, but alas a vast majority do not.

Some days I think I can speak Spanish well enough to be understood. Yesterday was not one of those days. I don't know what I was speaking but no one understood me.

My feelings about leaving Chihuahua are mixed. I've enjoyed my time here. On the other hand my feet are itchy and I think it's time to move on.

Adios Chihuahua. Hasta Luego Mexico.


No comments: