Saturday, May 02, 2009

The flu, The parade and all is well

For those of you who are wondering.  I'm fine.  No symptoms of the A1N1 flu.  I'm not calling it the swine flu because it isn't being transmitted by pigs.  I'm not calling it the Mexican flu because the Mexican people are quite upset about how this possible pandemic began here in the first place.  Apparently flu is not common in Mexico.  It is more common north of the border.  And so, some Mexican people believe a Canadian, or some other tourist,  brought the flu into their country.  Whatever!

I've been issued, and when in stores,  wear a mask.  It's uncomfortable, fogs up my glasses and naturally can't be worn when eating in restaurants.  All businesses are suppose to be closed, with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, banks and hospitals.  But, most businesses are open in Chihuahua.

I feel bad for a little restaurant I like to eat in.  The owner is struggling to keep afloat.  He is  a nice guy with a lot of class.  He followed the rules, and has a sign in the window asking his customers to be understanding.  He is doing as the government requested and will reopen on Wednesday.   He is practically next door to McDonalds.  McDonalds is open.  Not that I see McDonalds as his competition.  He is a small European style cafe/coffee house.

There is a Best Western a couple of miles from my apartment.  It has a very nice restaurant where I can get a good meal.  It's a far enough walk that I get some exercise too.  And, if I feel like it I can carry on to the downtown area.  It's also near the university and two book stores.  The area appeals to me.







I had lunch at the Best Western last week and planned to continue downtown until I noticed the traffic police, the fruit wagons, the people on bikes selling candy floss, and the people lining up.  By golly, I had walked into a parade.


Leading the parade were the police and all the other emergency vehicles whose sirens we almost ceaselessly hear night and day.










Next came one of the many obligatory high school bands.  They were playing "It's a Small World After All."





There was Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy. It was a Disney Fantasy theme. I don't know why the parade happened. 











At the end of the parade marched the street cleaners.  




No comments: