Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Living Under Siege

It's Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 9:19 p.m.  The city is under a 9 p.m. curfew. There's myself and two other teachers living at the school.  Two of us are here, Mark is not.  I'm a little worried.

The street is pretty quite, but there are still some cars traveling the road, but the car wash across the street, normally a buzz with activity, is silent.  I hear sirens in the distance.  Earlier today I heard the sirens and watched the police cars race by.

Yesterday, according to our local newspaper, El Heraldo, there were five executions in and around the city.  One of the executions included a beheading.
Beheadings aren't a particularly rare occurrence here in the state of Chihuahua.

I've heard rumors, but as of yet can't varify them.  I've heard that fifteen people in total have been killed over the last 24 hours and there was an open fire shooting at Plaza del Sol, a very upscale shopping centre.  However in Juarez, according to El Heraldo, a mass shooting occurred in a shopping centre yesterday.  So, my source, another teacher, may be confused.  On the other hand, maybe shopping centers are being targeted for some reason. 

Mark just returned, he was at his church and wondering why no one else was there.  

Cell phone service has been cut off.  If the police are conducting a massive drug raid tomorrow may be bloodier than today.

If I could speak Spanish I could listen to the radio and watch the local news.  

I'm sure there will be more news in the paper tomorrow.




No comments: