Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lucerne, Switzerland - September 11 and 12, 2012

Montreaux to Lucerne is a little less than three hours, again with one change.  I arrive to miserable, damp and cold weather. I'm wearing sandals, a light blouse, and no sweater.

Footbridge across Reuss River
The walk from the train station to my hotel is full of fairy tale magic. Swans, ducks and other birds enjoy the waters of Lucerne. A covered, wooden footbridge angles its way across the Reuss River.  I've been instructed to walk across the third footbridge.

My room in the Best Western Hotel Krone is in the attic, the sloped roof does not bother me and the view out my window is magical. Lucerne is Swiss German. The buildings are reminiscent of Hansel and Gretel's gingerbread house, and I instantly have a greater appreciation for Swiss German architecture.

Since the weather is terrible, I decide my best choice for tomorrow will be the Golden Round Trip that begins with a cruise around Lake Lucerne, then a ride to the top of Mount Pilatus (where it is rumored Pontius Pilot is buried), on what is touted to be the world's steepest cogwheel train. To descend the mountain travelers ride a cable car, take a short walk to a bus stop, and a bus ride back to Lucerne finishes the journey. It takes a half day.

September 12, 2012
Lucerne - View from my hotel
window

It's still raining. However, at the top of the mountain there is snow. This is the first time I've seen snow since the winter of 2008, and I do not like it much. Luckily I'm inside and don't plan to stay on top the mountain for long. The train ride up was not as interesting as it would have been had it been a sunny day.

The clouds thin out as I ride the cable car. Cows in the pasture serenade with their cowbells. Switzerland is the first country I've been in where dairy farmers put bells on the cows. It is interesting music that comes to full life when all, or most, of the cows are grazing.

In the afternoon, I study a list of attractions and decide to walk to the Robert Wagner museum. Wagner spent six years living on Lake Lucerne. I might add he didn't pay his rent. Wagner, snob, racist and generally pain in the backside is a good example of how being talented does not necessarily mean you are a good person.

Basel Switzerland and the Alsace area of France are calling. I'll answer the call tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oreen,

I took the picture that's from your hotel and photoshopped it and pinned it on Pinterest... just because I can't sleep and just because I love Lucerne. You can see it here:

http://pinterest.com/pin/274790014735641726/

If people click through the image on Pinterest to see where the photo came from, they will end up on your blog.
Cheers,
Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)