Saturday, February 21, 2009

When friends come to visit


One of the differences between Mexican and Canadian culture is a strong sense of family and community.   Reserved is not a word I'd use to describe the people of Mexico.  Canadians are far more individualistic , and more likely to keep to themselves.  I think I'm among the growing number of Canadians who live free and independent lives. However, here in Mexico I'm an anomaly. 

My friend Gil arrived in Chihuahua February 3 and left February 16.  It was nice to see him, and I'm glad he made the trip.

Our housekeeper, Cela and I have become good friends.  So when Gil left she expressed concern over my aloneness.  She said she understood, but I'm not sure she did, when I explained it is good when friends come, and it's good when they leave.

Here's a photo of Gil and one of the many dogs he made friends with.  I, on the other hand, do not make friends with the stray animals who live in Mexico, and out of necessity I ignore what I regard as mistreatment some of the neighborhood dogs who have homes.  

No comments: