Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm a minimalist

I am a devout minimalist. I never wanted to own things, and yet I've been sucked into the need for things I've never wanted.

I'm selling almost everything I own, and it feels good. But it is a complicated task.

I've been working on this project for about three years, frequently asking myself, is this something I absolutely can not do without? My needs are simple. I need two cups of coffee every morning, I need a computer, internet connectivity, and I need plenty of moisturizer because my aging skin is very dry.

The rest of my material requirements are simple, fresh chemical free food, clothing of some sort, and a relatively safe and clean roof over my head.

Right now, I have too many "have tos." Because I own a house that's not totally paid for, I have to pay a mortgage. Even if my house were totally paid for, I'd still have to pay property taxes, utility bills, and house insurance.

I want the universe to be my home, my house ties me down.

I own a car; the car needs gas, and insurance. Because I purchased the car in 2001 it has needed a few costly repairs lately. If I were to continue owning a car, I'd likely buy a new one because this one could begin to cost a lot to maintain. If I bought a new car I'd have car payments I'd have to pay.

My favourite form of transportation is my two feet. However, my two feet won’t take me very far, so public transportation will need to supplement my two feet.

To homelessly travel the world is exciting and frightening. But, by golly, I'm going to do it.

No comments: