Friday, August 03, 2007

20 Years at the Same Job

So sorry, yesterday I forgot all about this blog.

I've got a new toy, downloaded it from the Internet, language flash cards. The new toy has occupied most of my gray cells over the last 24 hours or so.

The sand sculpture is coming along quite nicely, it will be a buffalo. One of the artists sculpting the sand and myself got to talking about the amount of time a person should spent at one workplace, doing the same work.

We got into the discussion because one of our employees is leaving after 42 years, 42 years at the same place, doing the same job. Somehow, I don't think that's a reason to celebrate.

I should talk. I've been at the same place for 20 years, working my way down the corporate ladder.

Anyway, the artist mentioned how he had worked at the same place for 28 years and as far as he is concerned there should be incorporated into legislation that no one be allowed to work at the same job, or the same workplace for more than twelve years. I thought this was interesting because I was thinking more like ten.

His thought was, eight years and you know the job inside out. Four years to find something else to do with your life.

Interesting concept.

I'm off to stretch an hour or two of work into a full day. And, it's not my fault. I'm working as smartly as I can to get out of this predicament, with I had been so smart ten years ago - or perhaps the magic number is twelve years ago. Perhaps it does take only 8 years to know the score.

I'm learning in my old age to trust myself and to act upon my instincts. Its about time to, I'm going into the final stretch of my life, the third age.

No comments: